Re: [tlug] Further adventures in stability and security: backups

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 01:33, Dave M G <dave@example.com> wrote:

> On the one hand, I could pay for an online service, like
> http://www.onlinestoragesolution.com/index.html

This looks reasonable at a quick glance.

> But I just feel weird about putting my personal data on some anonymous
> server out there somewhere. Can I really be ensured privacy?

If they're encrypted, then yes. You might want to take a look at :

http://duplicity.nongnu.org/
http://rsyncrypto.lingnu.com/index.php/Home_Page

Both of these will encrypt the files before sending them offsite, but
still only send the difference between the files to save you on
bandwidth and possible remote storage costs.

> On the other hand, I thought about sending regular back ups to my
> father's computer in Canada. The upside is that I could ensure privacy,

Unless your dad's computer gets hacked!  Plus, if your dad's anything
like mine you're probably not going to get very good uptime on the
remote system. ;)

> What do you guys do for off site back ups?

I store all my files on a share on my home nas, which every four hours
rsnapshots[1] the "live" filesystem to a second drive in the nas.
Rsnapshot keeps 60 days of rotating backups so I can go back in time
at 4 hour increments for the last 60 days and pull out any thing I may
need. For remote backups I rsync my nas data, once a night, to my
workplace in the United States which also takes snapshots (using a
Netapp SAN) of the filesystem before every rsync. I also keep these
backups for 60 days.

[1] http://www.rsnapshot.org/