Re: [tlug] Uninterrupted power supply unit recommendations

On 08/31/2010 09:32 PM, Dave M G wrote:
> Is replacing the
> outlets near my computers something I can do myself, and/or is it worth
> the expense of doing so?

I'm not an expert, but I have a Japanese friend who is a professional
electrician.  He says that replacing regular, ungrounded outlets with
grounded ones is amazingly expensive.  Essentially, the wall needs to be
opened, ground connections run through the house to a dedicated grounded
point (at best), or a suitably grounded metal (plumbing, etc.) pipe
located (at the least).  Not for the faint of heart.

As an aside, cost is the reason why outlets in Japan are usually not
grounded in the first place.  Most consumer equipment does not come from
the manufacturer with ground (don't get me started on this one), so
builders and electricians just figure it's not worth the hassle.
Chicken and the egg.  My electrician friend mentioned that it's not the
cost of equipment/labor that's expensive; it's the cost of the building
company to change their designs that prevents them from making the move.
 Other friends here who are independent architects say that changing a
proposed building design to include grounded outlets is hardly an
afterthought for them, and takes no time at all.

Also, ever wonder why most Japanese rooms only have two outlets (usually
on opposite sides of the room)? Two is the minimum required by the
building codes. Again, more hassle for the building companies to change
their cookie-cutter designs.

I asked my electrician friend about his own house.  His answer: "one
outlet per tatami mat for the room, all grounded, of course".

"Of course", indeed.

--dan