Re: [tlug] Uninterrupted power supply unit recommendations

A UPS is a good investment imho.

I would recommend going secondhand, but replacing the battery as they are the part that wears out. If you can test them in store it is best - plug in to mains, and unplug and check the battery monitor levels. They are very heavy too, so you will need to think about how to get it home.

Most of the APC UPS's have a serial connector that you can use to set up monitoring via SNMP.

For 3 PC's, you should be able to pick up a decent case in Akihabara for around 4000 yen (iirc) and a new battery on amazon.co.jp for 6000 yen. I have an APC 750 at home, seems to do the trick.

For around 20,000 yen you could get a new one:

http://cyber.apc.co.jp/p-BR550G-JP.html?scode=BR550G-JP

Sounds expensive, but much cheaper than replacing 3 desktops, monitors etc.