Re: [tlug] In the beginning there is GRUB... or is there another?

On Sat, Aug 28, 2010 at 02:47:23PM +0900, Dave M G wrote:
> CL, Keith,
>
> Thank you for responding.
>
> I checked the boot order, and there is no network boot option that I can
> see, so I don't think it's that. My boot order checks the CDROM first,
> then the hard drive.
>
> Also, I timed the delay that I'm speaking of, and it's actually 30 (!)
> seconds long.
>
> Another possibility I thought of. In going from Ubuntu 9.10 to 10.04,
> GRUB was updated to GRUB2. I wonder if it's possible that some setting
> from the previous GRUB is lingering in such a way that it is unaffected
> by the settings I do on GRUB2...?
>
> If anyone has any other thoughts on what I might check, please let me know.

some bioses also take a long time to scan USB hubs, you may want to
disable that and/or make sure you have no disks attached.
I'd also check if you happen to have the "quiet" kernel command line
set, try to remove that and see if it's not kernel taking a long time to
get to the graphical splash screen.

Some grub-legacy/grub2 setups chainload grub2 from grub-legacy, that may
also eat some time. There is some command hidden in somewhere to fully
upgrade to grub2 if you were previously using grub-legacy (see the
documentation in /usr/share/doc/grub-* to see where it is) -- although
this is what Debian does, it's likely that Ubuntu uses the same approach.

Last but not least try to re-install grub-legacy and see if grub2 is
really the cause of this long delay.
--
mattia
:wq!