Re: [tlug] Laptop power consumption

2010/8/19, Darren Cook <darren@example.com>:
>> I know power consumption in Linux is still an open problem, ...
>> ...Obviously I guess [210 mins] could be achieved with windows-based os
>> only, ...
>
> I've not heard about this; do you have any more information?

Actually I don't have well-known sources of information about this.
When I talked about "open problem in Linux" I was referring to the
lack of proprietary drivers, which could surely increase sleep and
low-power functionalities of many devices. Even if open drivers are
extremely good in most of cases, a more serious interest by
manufacturers about Linux drivers could boost performances
considerably.

> BTW, I read that as of Ubuntu 10.04 Intel Turboboost works out of the
> box. But it sounds like you want power-saving not power-boost :-).

Yeah...my biggest concern so far is power-saving ;-)  Anyhow I
understood by your and other comments that Ubuntu 10.04 is very
well-performing. I'll give it a try.

>> I've got a 6-months old Samsung R520 notebook with Intel Core Duo,
>> 250 Gb SATA disk, 4 GB Ram and ATI Radeon HD 4300 gpu, ...
>> According to manufacturer's declaration, battery should last
>> approximately 210 min. ...
>
> Was that 210 min for your exact spec? Dell seem to be showing battery
> life (of 4hrs with 6-cell, 6hrs with 9-cell, if a quad-core) for the
> whole range;

Not sure about it. Actually what I'm disappointed at is that laptop
can be still considered a new model (just 6-months old), so I would
expect at least 2 hours...

> I'd not thought about this issue; perhaps I should consider the extra
> 5775 to upgrade to the 9-cell battery after all!

If Ubuntu 10.04 won't give any enhancements, I'm sure I'll try to
upgrade battery capacity.

BTW...I've noticed my laptop works with fast booting. Could this in
some ways affect power consumption ? (...maybe the fast-booting
feature doesn't allow to get complete advantage from pipelining,
requiring some extra task at kernel level)

Marco