Re: [tlug] Laptop power consumption

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 12:49:43PM +0200, Marco Toldo wrote:
> 2010/8/18, Attila Kinali <attila@example.com>:
> > Intels laptop processors have a TPD of usually around 25-35W.
> > You can about half that for "normal" usage. Add another 5-10W for the
> > chipset and graphics card, another 1-5W for the harddisk, about
> > the same for the display and  you know where your power is flowing.
>
> I didn't realize those numbers concerning Intel cpus.
> I have to sadly admit I totally agree with your estimate...
> Maybe it's time to look for a battery with higher capacity.

I tend to believe that the big pig could be the gpu. The Ubuntu version
you tried is a bit old, not sure about Suse.
Anyway, power management on the radeon open source drivers is not that
recent (depending on the model), you may want to make sure that your're
as up-to-date as possible with upstream develoment for that.

also note that vendors benchmarks in terms battery life are mostly
referring to a completely idle system.
--
mattia
:wq!