Re: [tlug] What the heck happened to my NFS server

On Sat, 07 Aug 2010 23:59:31 +0900
Dave M G <dave@example.com> wrote:

> > You can use pmap_dump to list all registred rpc programs, it should
> > iirc at least list "nfs" and "status", optionally "nlockmgr" too.
> >

> Yep, it's all there. (There were multiple instances of each, but I
> trimmed for brevity)
>
> $ pmap_dump
>      100000    2   tcp    111  portmapper
>      100021    1   udp  49839  nlockmgr
>      100003    2   udp   2049  nfs
>      100005    3   tcp  41506  mountd
>      100000    2   udp    111  portmapper
>      100024    1   tcp  40842  status

Hmm.. so all required processes are up and running.
So that is not the issue.

> > What most likely happend is, that you are running a system that relies
> > on a kernel-nfsd but installed a kernel without nfsd.
> >

> That sounds like a very good theory.
>
> The thing is, the installation was just an upgrade using the Ubuntu
> "Update Manager", which usually happens without any issues.
>
> So, how would I get this new kernel to get a little nfsd action? I tried
> searching Synaptic for packages with nsfd in them, but it's not as
> straight up as just finding a package.

I would first check what the nfs settings of the kernel are.
Easiest way is to have a look at /proc/config.gz
I have on my 2.6.32.1 at home the following settings:

CONFIG_NETWORK_FILESYSTEMS=y
CONFIG_NFS_FS=y
CONFIG_NFS_V3=y
# CONFIG_NFS_V3_ACL is not set
# CONFIG_NFS_V4 is not set
# CONFIG_NFS_FSCACHE is not set
CONFIG_NFSD=y
CONFIG_NFSD_V3=y
# CONFIG_NFSD_V3_ACL is not set
# CONFIG_NFSD_V4 is not set
CONFIG_LOCKD=y
CONFIG_LOCKD_V4=y
CONFIG_EXPORTFS=y
CONFIG_NFS_COMMON=y
CONFIG_SUNRPC=y

The first two are the nfs client support, then the nfs server support,
lock daemon, and other server side support. I don't have nfs v4 set up
yet (mostly due to lazynes). The server side protocol settings should
match the one on the client side. (for more info, see the kernel docu)

If anything of these is missing, you should opt for compiling your
own kernel. The kernel-package package makes this an easy and debian
compatible thing to do.

Something else you should check is, whether you can access the whole
bunch of nfs related processes from your clients. ie netstat -unl
should have the following line:
udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:111           0.0.0.0:*
(111 is the portmap port)

And iptables -L -nv should not show any filter on port 111 or udp traffic
in general.

				Attila Kinali
--
Why does it take years to find the answers to
the questions one should have asked long ago?