Re: [tlug] What the heck happened to my NFS server

On Sat, 07 Aug 2010 20:54:23 +0900
Dave M G <dave@example.com> wrote:

> Yesterday, I one of the machines on my home network upgraded the kernel
> to 2.6.32-24-generic.
>
> Today, I can't connect to it by NFS.  Usually all the computers hook up
> when I boot.
>
> When I try to run a mount -a command, I get this error:
>
> mount.nfs: mount to NFS server '192.168.0.4:/home/media' failed: RPC
> Error: Program not registered

You fail to tell on which machine you updated the kernel, on the client
or the server?

If it's the server, then it's likely that the nfsd is not running.

NFS on the server side consists of two components: portmap that plays
dispatcher for the various sun rpc providers, and nfsd that is the
actual nfs server.

You can use pmap_dump to list all registred rpc programs, it should
iirc at least list "nfs" and "status", optionally "nlockmgr" too.

What most likely happend is, that you are running a system that relies
on a kernel-nfsd but installed a kernel without nfsd.

If it's the client, you are most probably lacking nfs client support
in the kernel or have the wrong version enabled.

HTH

				Attila Kinali

--
Why does it take years to find the answers to
the questions one should have asked long ago?