Re: [tlug] linux notebooks, virtualization, windows

On 2010-08-03 at 07:47:19, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
>YMMV, but "buy more memory" is a rule of thumb that has saved a lot of
>brain sweat for me. :-)

I'll second that rule of thumb. I built a machine in 1998. Friends told
me i was crazy to put 512 MB of RAM in it (the maximum the board could
handle). But i never regretted the decision. That machine lasted me
nearly 10 years without any serious upgrades, mostly because it had so
much RAM. I built a new machine a couple years ago and maxed out the
motherboard with 8 GB. So far i've been very happy with that decision.
Being able to run multiple memory-intensive jobs and not hitting swap is
a wonderful thing. Having a large enough cache that the disk hardly ever
gets touched is also a wonderful thing. Buy as much memory as your
budget can tolerate.

--
Daniel A. Ramaley
Network Engineer 2

Dial Center 118, Drake University
2407 Carpenter Ave / Des Moines IA 50311 USA
Tel: +1 515 271-4540
Fax: +1 515 271-1938
E-mail: daniel.ramaley@example.com