Re: [tlug] A-bomb service

 On 07/27/2010 04:40 AM, Lewske Wada wrote:
A lot of countries are going to send their representatives to the
A-bomb memorial service on Aug. 6 this year. I hope this will cause
progress in decreasing nuclear weapons in the world.
Totally OT but:
<rant>
I never understood why 100,000+ deaths by two A-bombs are so important to
remember compared to the ~2,600,000 other Japanese killed in WWII. Or the
10,000,000 to 20,000,000 Chinese killed etc.

I think that these particular A-bombs probably saved lives, considering
that the (failed) defense of Okinawa claimed 100,000 Japanese lives and
about as many Okinawan lives, how many Japanese and American lives would
it have taken if the US had tried to invade Japans mainland?

I am no fan of A-bombs or any weapon but you do not need A-bombs to
create a hell in earth. I have no numbers but I am pretty sure the
Kalashnikov AK-47 have claimed far more innocent lives than atomic
weapons so a ban on AK-47s makes more sense, almost.

There is no glory in war, no heroism and no winners.
</rant>

/Fredric

PS. Numbers from Wikipedia

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/mail/nn20100727a1.html