[tlug] My first JSON object

TLUG,

I'm trying to create my first JSON object, and I'm a bit fuzzy. I've managed to work out just about all the steps, except the last.

Specifically, what I need to do is have Javascript running on the client create a JSON object, send that to the server, have PHP on the server accept that JSON and parse it to put into a MySQL database. Finally, the server needs to muck about with the data and send a revised JSON - pretty much the same data, but verified - back to the client.

Note that I haven't actually tried implementing any of the steps below yet, as this time I'm trying to get a complete blueprint instead of doing what I usually do which is stumble around in the dark bumping into things.

Okay, so, I think I can create a JSON in Javascript in the following manner.

var myJSON = {"pet" = "dog",
        "car" = "hybrid"};

Cool. Nice and easy. Now I've got "myJSON" ready to go.

JSONrequest = JSONRequest.post("http://myserver.com/jsonhandler.php";, myJSON);

On the server, jsonhandler.pho decodes the JSON object into a PHP array.

$JSONarray = json_decode($_POST['myJSON']);

Assuming I've succeeded in geting a PHP array built, then I'm in familiar ground, dealing with just PHP and MySQL. I take the PHP array and put data in the database, get new data from the database, and construct a new, revised array with appropriate updated values. Then I turn around and construct a JSON object from that new array.

$JSONarrayRevised = json_encode($dataFromMySQL);

Okay, now we hit where I'm fuzzy.

I want to output that JSON data in such a way so that the client will pick it up.

If I just output it, will the client be able to and parse that data? If so, how, exactly?

I know that a number gets stored in that JSONrequest variable I created at the start. But I don't think that number is useful to me in this case... or is it?

Can anyone help me get that last step of sending the PHP created JSON object to the client?

--
Dave M G