Re: [tlug] [OT] What's up with online Japanese<->Japanese dictionaries?

On 06/16/2010 06:54 PM, Martin Killmann wrote:
Compare that to building codes in the US or in Germany. Home owners
there might curse if they have (e.g.) to make their roof red and only
red, but if you look at Japan you understand what it's good for.

Well, it depends where in the US you are talking about. It's a big country and the rules are not evenly applied based on state and class. I used to build houses in New York, and one time I built a house that broke an offset spec by 1 inch. So, the house ended up encroaching 1 inch into a required 100 foot offset (and it mattered greatly how you held the tape measure, too). The survey was correct, but the concrete contractor made a mistake placing the footing. Now, in the end no one can spot a 1 inch mistake within a 100 foot offset with the naked eye, of course, yet the response from the planning board upon final inspection after the house was completed was simple: move the house. That's one extreme. And at the other end I built houses in areas where there were very few planning rules at all, and of course it was obvious to everyone in the business so-called rules were obliterated for political purposes (this was New York, after all). :)

Jim