Re: [tlug] [OT] What's up with online Japanese<->Japanese dictionaries?

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 4:39 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:
> And for doing research,
> well, the comparison between
>
>    http://www.e-stat.go.jp/
>
> and
>
>    http://www.bea.gov/
>
> has been known to cause Japanese undergraduates to weep.  If
> workstation-based UIs are anywhere near as bad ....
>
> Ah well, time to go hear about whether there really are tech
> spillovers from FDI.

I think if I ran http://www.e-stat.go.jp/ through the "geocitiesizer"
only the floating head of
Bill Gates gif would give it away. It amazes me how amateurish the
Japanese web is after
all this time.

Anyway, back to the dictionary discussion. Eijiro, the dictionary Alc
uses, is also
available for purchase to use offline if you need it. My wife had it
on her old lappy that is now
working diligently as a printer server. If you can always get on line
there doesn't seem to be a
reason to buy it, but it's generally the first resource I reach for
when I need to look up words
that I wouldn't expect to find in anything but a first-line
dictionary, or words that have similar
nuanced meanings.

-Mike