[tlug] [OT: recent legal changes for paypal in Japan?]

Hi TLUG,

Apologies for the off topic thread- just had a quick question that I
thought someone on the list might be able to help with. I was thinking
of adding a PayPal donate button to a website I'm running. However, it
appears that since April 1st the law has changed in Japan- according to
PayPal:

"Japanese users cannot send money to their friends or relatives living
in Japan or outside of Japan. They can only make payments for the
purchase of goods and services."

Which reads to me like "Unless you are an official registered tax paying
merchant selling a product in Japan, no yen for you."

Am I reading this wrong? Is anyone in Japan using paypal to get
donations?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Scott in Tokyo