[tlug] Japanese support on CentOS

I'm having trouble with Japanese texts on an application running on
CentOS 5.5. The same application runs without trouble in Ubuntu 10.04

The application is written in Java/Swing, and uses configuration files
to build the GUI, including menu bars and toolbars.  It's using MS
Gothic which I have installed using these instructions:
http://furuiman.blogspot.com/2009/01/preety-japanese-fonts-in-fedora.html.
I know that MS Gothic is a bad choice on a Linux platform, but this
cannot be changed (legacy application).

The configuration files contains Japanese translations of
File/Exit/Help and the like. This looks fine when I open the file in
an editor, but when I start the application I only get random
characters instead of the Japanese texts on menues and toolbar
buttons.

I have discovered that by setting LC_ALL to ja_JP.UTF-8 the text is
displayed. But, the application complains that it can no longer open
"MS Gothic" and the font is wrong. So what I need is to configure the
system to allow me to keep using MS Gothic while still being able to
see the text (using UTF-8). Any RHEL/CentOS/Fedora people here who can
help me out?

Thanks,
Johan