Re: [tlug] google ditching windows and going for open source software

On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 4:34 PM, scott <scott@example.com> wrote:
> Hi TLUG,
>
> Probably most people on the list have already read about Google moving
> all of their operating systems from Windows to Linux or Mac. I gotta
> admit I'm jealous. How cool would it be to work in an IT environment
> that's pro open source instead of totally subservient to Microsoft..

That would be great, but Google is really in a position where they don't have
clients with data formats they need to accommodate. This is a major factor
for a lot of companies. Nobody wants to have to pay MS for their office suite,
but Open Office's MS Office compatibility just isn't perfect enough, especially
Calc in my experience. It constantly breaks formatting, and hangs on large
files/files with Japanese fonts.

>I guess the non techie end users in sales and marketing will probably get the
>MAC OS...

I don't know if this is entirely true. I find Ubuntu to be eminintly
easy to use,
much more so than Mac OS, and I'm quite a noob when it comes to this stuff.
Dropping MS for Apple is jumping out of the frying pan into the fire.

-Mike