[tlug] Into the ring: distro wars reducks

Edward Middleton writes:

 > For what you do that may be the case, but in general, I think this is
 > more psychological.  With Apple stuff, if it doesn't work it will never
 > work so you don't waste time trying.

Not at all.  OK, you're talking about video drivers and Apple video is
basically opaque to the hacker, but everything outside the GUI is wide
open.  And MacPorts sucks pretty much as bad as Gentoo -- you can
waste a lot of time there.  Speaking of which ...

 > With Linux its always just a matter of time so you do.

Huh.  Problem is, those Gentoo maintainers can break things way faster
than anybody can fix them.  Doesn't anybody over there actually
install their changes on a vanilla system before uploading?  And
what's with the FEATURES=+test idiocy?  You just have to turn it off
anyway, one in five ports fails to build, which makes emerge -u world
kinda useless.