Re: [tlug] The Famous MMORPG Ultima Online on Linux

On 5/9/2010, "Eduardo Gonzalez" <me@example.com> wrote:

>P. S. Your latest e-mail in the thread still has an In-Reply-To header
>so I'm guessing it's still not fixed.  I wish people could just fix
>their broken mail-clients

This isn't a broken email client problem, it's a broken user problem.
Any email client - whether it implements threading correctly or not -
will happily hijack a thread if its user tells it to. What's broken
here is user behavior.

Bizarrely, "broken" email clients (in this case, that would be ones
that thread based solely on the Subject: header) will not manifest this
behavior and the people using them will never know the difference.

People with email clients that implement threading correctly, however,
will suffer. That was already pointed out earlier in this topic by
someone else.

By reminding people of proper netiquette, we're trying to fix the real
problem. It's sort of like the spam problem: no technical solution can
ever be completely effective, nor can any legal solution, because the
real problem is the behavior of people: people who send spam, and people
who respond to it. Unless *that* can be changed, spam can never be
solved. Unless people can be educated to stop hijacking threads, the
thread hijacking problem can never be solved.

Cheers,

Jonathan