Re: [tlug] Thread hijacking

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 12:48:47AM +0900, Lewske Wada wrote:
> Edward Middleton wrote:
> > On 05/10/2010 12:20 AM, Lewske Wada wrote:
> >

> So what is it all about?
> I can see the message separately within the thread.

Many current MUA's (mail user agents) don't thread properly, just going
by subject line. Mutt and some others, however, do thread properly,
using header information.  Even some Windows clients will also do it
properly, I believe.  THe first time I did it, not knowing better, I was
told about it by a Windows user, so....)

For an illustration

http://home.roadrunner.com/~computertaijutsu/threadhijack.jpg

Note that the linguistics post is showing up as part of the thread Hello
to everybody.

It's also bad for the person doing it--if someone has decided to ignore
a thread and has a proper MUA, the hijacked post may be missed.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6