[tlug] Ubuntu 10.04 (Xsane problem / new version comments)

I installed the final pre-release version and so far have had only one problem:
running the scanner. It doesn't work from Picasa, GIMP or xsane or anywhere
else, not even as root. I get "device not found". The all-in-one Brother printer
(MFC6490CN) works fine, and seems to be set up OK, but it must not be. I did
add the scanner to the "/lib/udev/rules.d/40-libsane.rules" file with the lines
given at the Brother site, viz.
# Brother scanners
ATTRS{idVendor}=="04f9", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes"
Am not sure what to do next. Funny thing, the scanner worked from Picasa
before I added that line, but it didn't show a scanner, it showed something
that looked like code with the word Brother. Now I can't get that back even
in Picasa. I even tried removing the line and even removing the lines below
that for suppressing the USB autosuspend. To no avail. To use the scanner,
I now have to boot into 9.10.

What I like best for this machine:

1. It boots after installation. With this m/b most previous Linuxes would only
run from a live CD, and once installed would not boot. I was told it was a
problem affecting certain m/b's and chips. Seems to have been sorted.

2. I've got my sound back. Again, a problem for certain chips only, but it
seems to have got sorted with this version. For the sound (which will work
even with the Via onboard sound) I have installed a Wavio SE-200 board
and added some Bose speakers. Wow! I just tried plugging in the old
speakers (which were reasonably good) for comparison. The difference is
awesome. Paquita la del Barrio rocks with this setup.

3. It set up the video with the nVidia card properly, even asking if I wanted
to install the proprietary drivers (yes) and promptly did so.

Other comments:

1. I like the color schemes much better. Huge improvement.

2. Having the 3 buttons (close, minimize, maximize) on the top left instead
of the top right of each open app takes a little getting used to. (It can be
changed back, but the change will not work with all the themes.)

3. The amount of pre-installed software is vastly reduced. Not even GIMP.
But. These are quickly installed, and that way you get what you want and
will use. Installation is now a one-click affair, and not something telling
you what dependencies you require and asking if you want to go ahead.
I guess that should please ex-Windoze users who migrate. Ubuntu seems
to be the newbie distro of choice and that solidifies that approach.

4. Having the bootloader automatically recognize all other versions of Linux
and put them on the menu is a definite plus.