Re: [tlug] (k|c)onsole automation

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 13:55, Nguyen Vu Hung <vuhung@example.com> wrote:
Hi all,

My aim is to open 3x11 consoles, run a tail -f /a/log/file on each
konsole to see what is happening.

This is done remotely via vnc so everything is reset each time I restart vnc server
or the Linux server.

And I want it to be automated. The flow is as follows,

1. Open konsole (or xterm, or any console that can do the job)
2. Resize the window.
3. Move the window to a specified position.
4. Run a specified command on it (tail -f /a/log/file | grep something)
5. Repeat 1.-4. for 11 other windows.
6. Repeat 1.-5. for other workspaces.

I use wmctrl to automate window placement.

http://tripie.sweb.cz/utils/wmctrl/

But you might be able to better/easier accomplish what you're trying to do with either a window manager designed to make this easier, or a terminal multiplexer:

window manager that might be better suited for this:  wmii2  (http://wmii.suckless.org/)
terminal multiplexer that would make this task easy: TMUX  (http://tmux.sourceforge.net/

Romeo