Re: [tlug] (k|c)onsole automation

On 3/31/2010 1:55 PM, Nguyen Vu Hung wrote:
Hi all,

My aim is to open 3x11 consoles, run a tail -f /a/log/file on each
konsole to see what is happening.

This is done remotely via vnc so everything is reset each time I restart vnc server
or the Linux server.

And I want it to be automated. The flow is as follows,

1. Open konsole (or xterm, or any console that can do the job)
2. Resize the window.
3. Move the window to a specified position.
4. Run a specified command on it (tail -f /a/log/file | grep something)
5. Repeat 1.-4. for 11 other windows.
6. Repeat 1.-5. for other workspaces.

System information: RHEL 5.3, kde 3.5.4 but I can install anything as needed.

I don't know any terminal options for launching into specific workspaces but you could try devilspie.  It's a daemon which performs actions on matched windows such as moving to workspaces & changing geometry. There's a gui called gdevilspie if you don't want to learn yet another config syntax.

Kyle