[tlug] Teergrube [was: ... mail not working]

Nuking the rapidly proliferating CCs.

Curt Sampson writes:
 > On 2010-03-15 09:56 +0100 (Mon), Christian Horn wrote:
 >
 > > There is an other nice approach worth mentioning: Trapit, in german
 > > Teergrube.

AFAIK Teergrube is considered the official name, although I've seen
"tarpit" as well.  Please, let's use the German!

 > > Here once the server made the decision the connection is
 > > not desired its not cancelling the connection but just keeping it
 > > open. If you get many connections from different ips this will tend to
 > > waste your ressources....
 >
 > Actually, I suspect that if you set things up correctly there's no
 > reason that it should use any resources at all.

This probably requires rebuilding your TCP stack (or providing a
loadable module.

 > That would be, of course, only if you're not using postfix, which has
 > its own rate limiting:

Why do this in user space if you can do it in the TCP stack cheaply
enough?  (That's a real question.)