Re: [tlug] gstewart@example.com mail not working

On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 19:20:39 +0900, Curt Sampson
<cjs@example.com> wrote:

> This is a note to gstewart@example.com: your mail server is down and has
> been so for weeks.

It is not down.

Most of Asia is in a firewall blocking access to port 25. There are holes
poked in that firewall for a few places from which I do want to receive
mail - 202.224.46.0/24 is one such exception.

> This was tested from both a server on an Asahi-Net static IP
> (critic.cynic.net)

122.249.238.158 is not allowed through.

> and another on a GOL business connection (priv.dyadic.cynic.net).

Nor is 122.103.239.153.

> You might want to get your sysadmins to look at this.

I *AM* the sysadmin. It is a conscious choice. If you're caught up in the
blacklisting then I'm sorry about that and I appreciate your frustration,
but I'm not about to change things. Attacks from numerous netblocks in
APNIC space were hammering my server and bringing it to its knees. It
became impractial to pinpoint individual blocks causing the problems so I
just got hold of a listing of APNIC IP space and put the lot, and most of
LACNIC too, in the firewall. End of problem.

--
G. Stewart - gstewart@example.com

"The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the
 day they start making vacuum cleaners."
       --- Ernst Jan Plugge