Re: [tlug] gstewart@example.com mail not working

> ... my server was getting hammered by dozens of
> SMTP sessions per second, effectively becoming an ongoing DDoS attack.
> Using the MTA to reject those connections was not something that was going
> to scale and I was not about to start spending more money to get a better
> server with more bandwith, more RAM and more horsepower.

Though I run my own home server, this was one of the reasons I decided
to leave mail to the professionals (*) and have a big ISP host my email.
(Having made that decision I then also had them host my DNS and main web
site, but mail was, and is, the underlying reason.) I think that was
about 5-6 years ago and I've had no regrets.

BTW, I've received genuine and useful emails from people all over the
world, often private replies to mailing list posts I've made; as a lot
of spam looks like a bounce message, a 5-day old bounce email can easily
go unseen. So you're probably not seeing important email and the sender
is just assuming you're ignoring them. (Very few people will go to the
trouble Curt has gone too :-)

Darren

*: meaning large companies with enough resources; no reference to
sysadmin skill :-)

http://dcook.org/gobet/  (Shodan Go Bet - who will win?)