Re: [tlug] Netbooks (sony reader)

Curt wrote:
>>> The Sony Reader is somewhat cheaper than the Kindle, with a PRS-300
>>> currently going for about $199 US, ...
>> If I found a second-hand model, say a year or two old, would that still
>> be good?
>
> Yes. You don't want a PRS-500, but the PRS-505 is about the same thing
> as the newer PRS-300.  ...

>> Interesting. Perhaps I'll load a magazine PDF on a memory stick and try
>> it out in Bic.

Has anyone seen these in a shop in Japan?? I've tried Bic Camera
(twice), Labi and a large book shop (because Bic told me they are only
sold in bookshops), and they are not stocked anywhere it seems. Any
e-book reader, not just the Sony Reader. It is like the market for them
is just non-existent?! ("e-book reader" in katakana seems to be the
correct term; the girl in Labi looked them up and said they only seem to
be for sale online.)

Curt, and others, have said the e-ink screens are good for reading, and
so I'd like to look at one for myself, so I can get a feel for the value
of a dedicated e-book reader vs. a more general-purpose netbook.
Speaking of which, Bic have stopped promoting their 100 yen netbooks
with the 2-year emobile contract, instead promoting a 1000-yen iphone,
so I assumed they'd sold out of last year's models, but they still seem
to have them online [1].

Darren

[1]:
http://www.biccamera.com/bicbic/jsp/w/service/emobile/douji_mp.jsp

Specializing in intelligent search (in multiple languages), discovery
of context, aiding communication, and basically helping people find
and make good use of their data.

http://dcook.org/gobet/  (Shodan Go Bet - who will win?)
http://dcook.org/mlsn/ (Multilingual open source semantic network)