Re: [tlug] Linux 7 year ago? [was Re: [OT] job posting]

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 10:35:37AM +0900, Martin Killmann wrote:
> For a complete newbie like me, it took about a month to get a working
> X server, and then you stared at the beauty of fvwm, and watched in
> amazement how the xeyes followed the mouse cursor...)

/me goes misty eyed...

That reminds me of installing my first Linux (Linux-FT, from a PCW cover
disk in '96). It took me ages to get X going as well, and the virtual
desktop really caught me by surprise. That is, where the X server used
excess video RAM to pretend your screen was larger than it really was.
You could push the viewport around with the mouse until you got to the
edge of the screen, then the window manager would take over and flip you
onto the next workspace. I can't imagine who thought that that would be
a good idea.

Leo