Re: [tlug] etckeeper

On 2009-12-08 15:11 +0100 (Tue), Christian Horn wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 08, 2009 at 10:53:20PM +0900, Curt Sampson wrote:
> > Is anybody out there using etckeeper?
>
> I do not, last attempt to manage /etc in a subversion with
> some tools around didnt work out to well, already symlinks
> were causing trouble.
>
> If this works better now with git....

Well, this is part of what etckeeper does, managing file permissions,
symlinks, and so on. (Git does not do this by itself.)

> ...one could even think of
> doing backups with this: a central server regularly collecting
> the changes and serving for restore.
> The changes done on the servers nicely available via git.

Indeed, that was one of my first thoughts, and though I've not started
doing this yet, I'm already naming my branches appropriately (using
machine names).

I just have to contemplate the security issues of this.

On 2009-12-08 18:01 +0000 (Tue), Lars Kotthoff wrote:

> I also haven't used any branches yet.

Sure you have; it's called "master." :-)

cjs
                   http://www.starling-software.com