Re: [tlug] NVIDIA Geforce 9600GT driver on opensuse

Godwin Stewart <godwin.stewart@example.com> wrote:
> The kernel source is not installed on your system.
>
> Install that package and you should be good to go.

I checked and the kernel-pae package was installed. There were
some kernel module packages for Nvidia available so I went
with the newest one that was for GForce 6xxx and above. I
guess the 9600GT is above.

Scott Robbins <scottro@example.com> wrote:
> distribution you're using. However, in Fedora, at least, rather than
> install the usual kernel-devel packaged, you need to specify PAE. That
> is, yum install kernel-PAE-devel, rather than kernel-devel.

In SUSE, I didn't find anything either available or installed that
ended with "devel", though the kernel-pae package was
already installed. As I noted above, I tried installing the
GForce-module-specific package.

Following that, Grub let me know it couldn't find SUSE 11.1 on my
system and couldn't boot it. I could either boot into Pardus or
turn it off, Grub didn't seem to care much either way.

Well, I have /home on its own mount point, so I'm not too worried.
I am reinstalling while typing this on my laptop in Ubuntu.

Only, this time I've had enough of 11.1. I am going back to 11.0
and hopefully everything will just work like it did the first time I
installed 11.0.

Thanks for all the time and effort in trying to bring me up to
speed. I really do appreciate it. And I hope to learn a lot more
and be able to talk funny like you guys and at least sound like
I understand it.

--Ralph

Windows Live Hotmail: Your friends can get your Facebook updates, right from HotmailĀ®.