Re: [tlug] Better to have "bottom-posted"?

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
Thing is, as a style "top-posting" really is the combination of the
two: inserting new text at the top *and* not trimming.  Most people on
this list are aware that both are bad, and that of the two, trimming
is actually more valuable to the readers (as well as more costly to
the poster!)  But it's been called "top-posting" because that's the
more visible characteristic, I guess.

One big difference between this group and others I belong to is that members on this group know about threads and threaded email readers. With top posting the entire text is carried in each email but the thread tends to be lost. In bottom posting only the context you are replying to is in the email and you can see the logic of the whole thread with your email reader.

Most of my friends use top posting and don't understand threads or threaded email. And most of those threads are only 3 or 4 messages long. Very few messages on this list are that short.

Personally I prefer bottom posting with trimming and use it for all my email but I don't think the bottom posters even notice the difference.

Steve S.