Re: [tlug] NVIDIA Geforce 9600GT driver on opensuse

On 08/11/09 05:39, Raedwolf Summoner wrote:

>> Create that symbolic link yourself and you'll be out of the woods most likely.
>
> I'm sorry to have to admit it, but I don't know what that means.

I doubt the driver builds a kernel for you, only modules, and for that it
needs the kernel source tree to be set up properly with access to it from
the directory containing the modules of the active kernel.

The command "uname -r" outputs onto the console the version of the kernel
you're running, that's 2.6.27.7-9-pae in your case. Sticking something in
`backticks` in a command line causes that something to be executed and its
console output to be substituted into the command line.

So, if you cd into /lib/modules/`uname -r`/ you will get into the directory
containing the modules for the kernel that's running on the machine,
regardless of the version of the kernel, because that particular piece of
information is determined on-the-fly when you enter the command.

While in that directory you need to create a symbolic link called 'build'
pointing to '/usr/src/linux'.

$ ln -s /usr/src/linux build

Then try and build the modules for your graphics card again.

Finally, run a search on the internet to find out what symbolic links and
hard links are.

--
G. Stewart - godwin.stewart@example.com

The journey of a thousand miles begins with a broken fan belt and a leaky
tyre.