Re: [tlug] NVIDIA Geforce 9600GT driver on opensuse

Thanks for the responses, Ryu and Godwin. Unfortunately, just when you
think you've given fool-proof advice, a bigger fool comes along. I really
don't understand what you are telling me to do.

Godwin Stewart wrote:
> > When you do make modules_install after compiling a kernel, the installer
> > will symlink /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include to /usr/src/linux.
>
> Scratch that. It's /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build that's symbolically linked
> to /usr/src/linux.
>
> Apologies for the confusion.

And I for the confusion caused about "compiling a kernel". I didn't. Nvidia
offered to do so because it said it needed to do that to be able to set up
the driver. I just clicked "OK". I have no idea what is going on.

> Create that symbolic link yourself and you'll be out of the woods most likely.

I'm sorry to have to admit it, but I don't know what that means.

Lewske Wada <ryu@example.com> wrote:
> You should read the warning before this carefully.
> The driver installer will probably mention what version of gcc
> your kernel has been compiled with in the first place, and
> the version of gcc that you now have in Linux.

The driver is offering to re-compile, so I assume the version
would be the same since it is being compiled prior to driver
installation?

> Roland's USB sound cards (interface) are again almost perfect in work
> with Linux. Try one with an audio amplifier with digital input terminal,
> then you should be happy with that. Their latest 24bit/96kHz
> UA-4FX with MIDI interface seems to work and very cheap here:
> http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/Edirol_UA-4FX
> http://kakaku.com/item/05602910311/

Thanks for the resources, Ryu. I'll check that out.

Keep your friends updated— even when you’re not signed in.