Re: [tlug] LVM2 and resizing partition

On 2009-11-05 12:07 +0100 (Thu), Tobias Diedrich wrote:

> Curt Sampson wrote:
> > I would probably create a new, overlapping partition, verify that that
> > works....

> If you have the free space, sure, that's the best way to do it.

There is no free space required (except for a free slot in the partition
table) to create a partition that overlaps an existing partition.

To put it graphically, here's the partitioned disk, where D is the
entire disk, and 1, 2 and 3 are partitions of it:

    D: |----------------------------------------------------|
    1: |------|
    2:        |--------------------------------|
    3:                                         |------------|

And here it is again, with the fourth partition added:

    D: |----------------------------------------------------|
    1: |------|
    2:        |--------------------------------|
    3:                                         |------------|

You'll note that no extra space has been allocated; partition 4 uses the
same space as partition 2.

> But as he said he wanted to resize the physical volume to get space
> for a new partition, so I think he can't use that method. ;)

What I'm talking about are the changes to the DOS partition table
*after* you shrink the LVM physical volume, so that you can put a new
partition in the now-unused space.

cjs
                   http://www.starling-software.com