Re: [tlug] LVM2 and resizing partition

On 2009-11-05 04:54 +0100 (Thu), Tobias Diedrich wrote:

> To resize the actual partition I'd use fdisk and delete and then
> recreate it smaller.

I would probably create a new, overlapping partition, verify that that
works (booting up in single-user read-only mode or from a CD, and doing
an fsck on volume and dd from the volume to /dev/null--I assume that
Linux will check partition boundaries and generate an error if one tries
to read past them), and then switch the system to that before deleting
the old one. This ensures that you always have the unmodified original
partition entry around in case you mess up the new one.

I also forgot to reply to the original note regarding having four
primary partitions and wanting to create an extended one. Do remember
that you need to use one primary partition entry to point to the
extended partition table, and that takes up space on the disk just like
any other partition. If you already have four primary partitions, you'll
have to delete one, create the extended partition table, and recreate
the deleted primary partition (which will now be slightly smaller) as an
extended partition.

cjs
                   http://www.starling-software.com