Re: [tlug] Search MySQL for Japanese Names]

> file attributes it's data to this page:
> http://www2s.biglobe.ne.jp/~suzakihp/index40.html

Thanks Steve! Now that is what we're talking about. Such an ugly page,
but if you look at "5.苗字順位" (Surname ranking) link the population rank
data is available ... all the way to the 10,000th most popular
surname.

The data is rough (see the アンケート結果 (survey results) page) but it shows
clearly enough that only a small amount of surnames (1 in 5? 1 in 10?)
have single readings. Or, rephrasing, 8 or 9 out of 10 Japanese people
suffer the fate of having a meishi that makes people say/think "Is
that ...?" or "How do you say ....?".

Given names would be in a similar state I presume. I conclude
autocompletion of furigana from kanji names will never be a useful
feature. Question resolved.

Akira