Re: [tlug] linux@example.com How many widely can we do that?

On 2009-10-25 16:03 +0100 (Sun), Attila Kinali wrote:

> Oh my... I completely forgot about 4DOS....
> Damn, that thing is old ^^'

Yes, but still good, in a sort of nostalgic kinda way.
And don't forget QEMM!

> Be careful, you're stepping into the "it's differnt, thus it sucks"
> trap. Windows has a different usage philosophy...

Hey, I know (just a little bit) about VMS, and Dave Cutler tried his
best, but...

There are system calls in Windows that I'm jealous of. And I understand
the background and where a lot of things were coming from. (Writing a
Windows DDE server last year was for me quite a 'natsukashi' experience.
Ah, the days of co-operative multitasking.) I didn't grow up on Unix; I
grew up on MTS as a kid, and Apple DOS as an early teenager; my first
Unix was 4.2BSD.

> The true CS students do not need to know how to program.
> They learn how to abstract the process of programming to
> the point of making programmers obsolete.
> 		-- Jabber in #holo

Right. I was looking for a good quote from #haskell to reply to this,
but the first thing I came across was (unfortunately?) on-topic for this
list:

    Ubuntu, an ancient African word meaning "I can't configure Debian".
	    --ricky_clarkson in #haskell

cjs
                   http://www.starling-software.com

(Oh, so I looked for a better one. If you really need it, here you go:
(  Those who would give up essential laziness for a little ephemeral
(  performance, deserve neither laziness nor performance.
(       --Baughn, on #haskell)