Re: [tlug] linux@example.com How many widely can we do that?

On Sun, 25 Oct 2009, Attila Kinali wrote:

On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 15:43:42 +0100
Christian Horn <chorn@example.com> wrote:

"What happens when you read some doc and either it doesn't answer
your question or is demonstrably wrong? In Linux, you say 'Linux
sucks' and go read the code. In Windows/Oracle/etc you say 'Windows
sucks' and start banging your head against the wall."
       -- Denis Vlasenko on lkml

Pretending both OSs are equally good equipped for a given work-
load (and i think for mine linux is better equipped) one still
has a better chance with an OpenSourced OS to shed out problems.

But how many people who use a computer in their daily life can
read code? How many of those who can are able to understand such
complex code as it is commonly found on unixoid systems?

Your argument that one has a better chance to solve any given
problem on a OSS system is void for 99% of the world population.

Not necessarily. I *can* read the code but I usually don't and my employer doesn't pay me to fix problems in the O/S, anyway. However, there are plenty of other people in the world who *do* read code and their answers to common questions/problems are usually just a Google away.

So even if you, yourself, don't read the code, you're still better off working with code that *can* be read because there's usually someone around with the same problem and a lot more time on their hands.

---
Joseph L (Joe) Larabell            Never fight with a dragon
http://larabell.org/                    for thou art crunchy
http://thelemicleague.org/        and goest well with cheese.