Re: [tlug] [OT] eBooks

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Godwin Stewart writes:
>
>  > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/10/02/kindle_pay_off/
>  >
>  > What's to say they won't do it again?
>
> Excuse me?  They were (very clumsily) trying to obey the law.  With
> normal books, they'd just be pulled from bookstore shelves ...
>
> ... I'm not saying that this wasn't a major deal, but it was a snafu by
> flunkies, not a corporate strategy.

Amazon's problems were caused by the way they chose to implement their
service.  If they hadn't implemented the ability to track customer
purchases and remove what was on your kindle they wouldn't be in this
situation, just like a book store isn't in this situation.  These were
privacy choices Amazon made, and the unintended consequences of their
choices.  Unfortunately these are the same choices made by almost every
web service.

Edward