Re: [tlug] Tux is now in Tokyo ! who wants to get it ?

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Joshua B. writes:
>
>  > I simply want to stand up for the grass roots aspects of the free
>  > software movement.
>
> I'm sorry, but until it starts costing money, I see the vast majority
> of the grass roots of the free software movement being as interested
> in freedom as the grass roots of the free multimedia movement are.
> Have you noticed how people on YouTube prefer to complain about the
> Warner Media Group's aggressive enforcement of copyright rather than
> support the huge number of indies who produce art that ranges from
> nausea-inducing to as good as anything WMG distributes?  There are a
> lot more posts about supporting Heart or the Marshall Tucker Band for
> induction into the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame than there are about
> supporting indies!
>
> I.e., they want software at price zero far more than they want source.

I think it is more they don't want to keep paying for it.  Most people
have grown up in either the MS or Mac software treadmill.  They buy a
computer/OS/software, use it for two or three years, by which time
either a) their hardware stops working or b) they can't run whatever new
software everyone is running.  At this point they have to pay to replace
the software that they were mostly happy with,  and waste time working
out how to do all the things that just worked with the old version.
No-one wants to give them their money back for the perfect condition
digital copy they have of the old software, it is essentially
worthless.  MS et. al. might want to convince everyone that they are
licensing you a service but I don't think anyone really buys that argument.

Edward