[tlug] What's the deal with these encodings? (Was: Japanese font for PDF files)

TLUG,

With CL's advice, I've settled on trying to get MS Mincho to be my font
of choice for creating PDF files with PHP.

After wresting with settings for a while, my Japanese text is still
coming out as mojibake, and I think it's because the encoding is off.

Apparently I need to create a .z file that contains the font that gets
rendered in the PDF. That can be done manually or with this online
converter:

http://fpdf.fruit-lab.de/

The thing is that it asks for these "Maps"... things like "cp1252",
"iso-8859-1", or "koi8-u".

I recognize iso-8859-1 and similar as being Latin based encodings, but I
can't figure out what the deal on the others is.

There seems to be no option for Japanese and/or utf-8 encodings.

What encoding am I supposed to use to get Japanese into my PDF files?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

--
Dave M G
http://tlug.jp/mediawiki/index.php?title=User:Dave_M_G