Re: [tlug] openssh on Centos 5.2

Curt Sampson writes:

 > Yes, but if you re-read the above, my question is that, if both
 > 'UsePAM yes' and 'PasswordAuthentication no' are set, does it allow
 > password authentication anyway? On Ubuntu 9.04 systems, if you set
 > 'PasswordAuthentication no', even if 'UsePAM yes' is set, it still will
 > not allow password logins.

That probably has to do with the PAM configuration.  What I see on a
host I used to use to try distros and is normally not visible outside
the firewall is two separate sequences of password prompts, one from
SSH itself and another from PAM.

I would say that I see changes in the default PAM configuration in my
Gentoo box about once a month.  That suggests to me that PAM is now so
complicated and viral that nobody understands it.