Re: [tlug] openssh on Centos 5.2

Sotaro Kobayashi wrote:
Nguyen Vu Hung wrote:
On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 7:26 PM, Scott Robbins<scottro@example.com> wrote:
On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 01:14:24PM +0700, Nguyen Vu Hung wrote:
Hi all,

A "default installation" CentOS 5.2 will have openssh installed.

What I am trying to do is find a way to subtract openssh from CentOS
5.2 installation[1]
I believe that even if you uncheck everything (including base system)
during the customize package screens, you'll still have open ssh
installed, at least the server.  (Not sure about the client.)
anaconda does it without my knowledge. It installs a network service,
turns it on by default. Is that a right thing to do?

However, it's easy enough to uninstall it upon first boot.  Would that
be satisfactory?
I am at work and this is to answer to an inquiry of very picky Japanese
customer.

As far as I can recall, Redhat 6 or 7 lets you users choose what to
install and what network services starting by each chkconfig levels.
However, those options seem to be gone in CentOS 5.2

Sorry for having confused you by top listing.

BTW, it is very strange why
chkconfig option seems to be gone in CentOS 5.2 on your box.

On my CentOS 5.2 box,
it is no problem to stop starting it by each chkconfig levels as follows.

 [root@example.com /]# cat /etc/redhat-release
CentOS release 5.2 (Final)

[root@example.com /]# /usr/bin/ssh -v
OpenSSH_4.3p2, OpenSSL 0.9.8b 04 May 2006

[root@example.com /]# chkconfig --list | grep ssh
sshd               0:off    1:off    2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off

[root@example.com /]# chkconfig --del sshd

[root@example.com /]# chkconfig --list | grep ssh
[root@example.com /]#

Cent OS5.2 is very fine distro just as Redhat for me.

Regards,

Sotaro

Of course, both stopping and restarting openssh are NP on my CentOS 5.2 box
as follows;

[root@example.com sumtec]# chkconfig --list | grep ssh
sshd               0:off    1:off    2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off

[root@example.com sumtec]# chkconfig --del sshd

[root@example.com sumtec]# chkconfig --list | grep ssh

[root@example.com sumtec]# chkconfig --level 2345 sshd on

[root@example.com sumtec]# chkconfig --list | grep ssh
sshd               0:off    1:off    2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off

It seems your customer could know this solution well.

Regards,

Sotaro