Re: [tlug] Yes! Another argument about the GPL! You knew you wanted it....

On 2009-08-13 08:21 +0100 (Thu), Lars Kotthoff wrote:

> > That may not be what you had in mind, but what's what you're doing,
> > regardless. Basically, you're looking at good effects that might come
> > out of using the GPL on a piece of software, and ignoring the bad
> > effects that may also happen.
>
> And you're doing exactly the same thing for a more permissible license.

I disagree. I think I've carefully considered both the advantages and
disadvantages of GPL-like and non-GPL-like open source licenses.

I suppose it could be that you have done so as well, but if that's the
case you believe one of two things:

    1. That very few additional developers would extend GPL'd software
    if it were not GPL'd. I disagree; that people rewrite entire
    packages from scratch in order to avoid the GPL is evidence that
    there's powerful demand for some of the software out there that is
    GPL'd.

    2. That vast numbers of developers are contributing back to GPL'd
    code bases solely because the GPL forces them to, and they would
    withhold their changes if they could. I also disagree with this,
    both because we have ample evidence that non-GPL'd products get
    plenty of contributions, and because it often would be more
    expensive for companies to hold back contributions than to give them
    away.

> It's also possible though that the company benefiting is the main
> effect of them selling crap software that happens to be "industry
> standard" or something like that.

Certainly, but the GPL changes that neither for better nor for worse.

cjs
                   http://www.starling-software.com