Re: [tlug] Yes! Another argument about the GPL! You knew you wanted it....

On 2009-08-12 11:02 +0900 (Wed), JC Helary wrote:

> Yes, the GPL proposes an alternative way to share information. You
> accept the proposal and you're fine, you don't and you're fine too.
> You are not forced to use the GPL.

I really dislike the word "propose" for "you may not use this property
except under the exact conditions I specify." A proposal to me implies
an invitation to negotiate, and the GPL is certainly not that.

Is this just perhaps an issue of us understanding different
connotations? I had thought that "proposer" in French had the same
connotations; it's defined at fr.wiktionary.org as "Mettre quelque chose
en avant, de vive voix ou par écrit, pour qu’on l’examine, pour
qu’on en délibère."

cjs
                   http://www.starling-software.com