Re: [tlug] Slow Cautious Migration from Windows to Linux (was Replacing text in multiple files - under Windows)

There's also Wubi
http://wubi-installer.org/

It's like a dual boot Linux/Windows but doesn't require repartitioning the hard drive. Instead it creates a file within the Windows filesystem and mouts that file as a Linux partition at boot. Performance should be somewhere between dual boot and VM, probably closer to the dual boot side since it incurrs slight I/O overhead but less than a VM running a full host OS.

Martin Killmann wrote:

Maybe I should reserve some time next week, split the harddrive and get
a real OS on the damn thing... See you next week in a thread called "how
to get a Linux install below the radar of company IT"...
Here are some options.

1. Use Windows version of GNU tools.

    light and feeble: http://sourceforge.net/projects/unxutils/
    heavy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cygwin
    http://www.okisoft.co.jp/esc/utf8-cygwin/

2. Dual Boot.

    You can install Linux on the hard drive as you mention.
    You can also install on an external USB hard drive.
    Other compromises include booting live CDs or flash drives.

    The drawback is that you can run only one OS at a time.
    Switching between the them is slow and extremely annoying.

    Better to run both OSs at the same time.

3. Install Linux as _application_ within Windows. (feeble VM)

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CoLinux

    The last time I looked, it was feeble and not well maintained.

4. Install Linux in a virtual machine within Windows.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyper-V
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VMware

5. Install Windows in a virtual machine within Linux.

    There are plenty of virtual machines to choose from.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_platform_virtual_machines

    If possible, one would use the existing installation of
    Windows within a virtual machine.

The big slow cautious migration I would do would be:

1. Split hard drive.
2. Install virtualization friendly Linux in new partition or _drive_.
3. Install Linux and Windows virtual machines within Linux within
    that partition.
4. If possible, use _existing_ installation of Windows
    in virtual machine within Linux.

BTW, be careful about doing things "below the radar of company IT".
Best keep your chain of command informed.