Re: [tlug] Fwd: Acer Aspire Revo

Graham Iphone wrote:
These things are starting to interest me now. I want something small and quiet(er than what I have) to stick GNU/Linux on as a server machine but I need 2 eSATA ports for my rsync'd backup drives, so this is *almost* a perfect fit.

For another point of view; I have an MSI Wind, have been using it heavily for the past 6 months or so, and the fan has started making a lot of noise (typical bearing wear / dust type things). Because it's a laptop, it's a custom little fan and replacements aren't (easily) available.

If you want quiet, you could build yourself a low powered box with big 120mm fans turned down slow, and plenty of foam etc.

If you want actual silence, maybe something like
  http://www.soekris.com/net5501.htm
With the right power supply and storage (CF, or SSD?) that will have no moving parts, totally silent, passive cooling. Maybe not powerful enough for you though.

There are also passive cooling cases out there for fully specced PCs - all heat pipes and massive aluminium heatsinks. Neither small nor cheap though.

--
Jon Povey
jon@example.com