Re: [tlug] Old School xterm Fonts for Unicode/Japanese

Curt Sampson writes:

 > I'm using the defaults that come with xterm; I don't recall how to look
 > them up, but I believe they are the -misc-fixed-**- ones.

Ah, I though you said your were trying to switch to different ones?

 > I did try installing some Japanese X11 font packages, and got some
 > "sony" ones that are livable (they appear to be the ones I used to
 > use in kterm), but they're all in JIS encodings.

There's a way to work around that, but I long ago switched to using
Xft-enabled XTerms, so I forget what it is.  :-(  On Ubuntu you may
already be using Xft without knowing it, and it might even be ignoring
your resource settings for legacy fonts.

 > I've also never been able to get input working in an xterm, and I'm

Hm.  Works fine for me with kinput2 and Canna in ja_JP.eucJP (xterm
automatically runs luit to deal with that).  I would think it would
work fine with SCIM direct to UTF-8, but I don't use SCIM so ....

 > wondering if it's time to switch terminal emulators.

Could be, but I can't help with that, since I use either XTerms or
Terminal.app (on Macs).