Re: [tlug] Setting up a Reliable Local WiFi Network

Stuart Luppescu wrote:
On 火, 2009-07-14 at 18:28 +0900, CL wrote:
it is only the Kubuntu machines having this problem,

These are the ones running KNetworkManager, right? I had horrible
trouble with NetworkManager (the gtk version, but...) with an Intel
wireless card. If you search the web, you'll see that we aren't alone. I
could have sworn that it was a hardware problem, but when I switched to
wicd, (almost) all my problems went away.

Stuart,

Many thanks for that tip. We have network. Everything _seems_ to be making nice with everything else after I did the changeover to wicd ... which, incidentally, uninstalls KNetworkManager when it is added. It took about 20 minutes of serious dicking around (hope that isn't too technical) to get the formats and handshakes right. Once the passwords were accepted, everything seems to work.

The upstairs tenant has yet to install wicd but it has now been added to their List of Things to Do.

EMBARRASSING SIDE NOTE:

One thing about this little project tells me how far I have come from my days of being able to solve all of the world's problems by refilling my automatic pencil, getting another roll of white shelf paper and my plastic program logic map template, then adding a couple more trays filled with 80-column punch cards to my program cart. It occurred this morning when wicd informed me that I needed to enable encryption for the local area connection ... and the very first thing I did was to look for a large friendly button marked "Encryption" instead of the setup menu ...

I'm so ashamed of myself ...

--
CL