[tlug] Setting up a Reliable Local WiFi Network

I am having numerous problems trying to set up three Lenovo ThinkPads to share a single WiFi connection at home along with two machines connected to the Ethernet side of the same router. The problems only regularly occur in our wlan-capable Kubuntu machines. I have a feeling I am forgetting something or configuring something wrong but, after three setup run throughs this morning, am still in the dark ... especially because the connection "almost always, usually, used to work." Discussion of what was happening when it stopped working is below. We may have two problems or one big problem; establishing a reliable connection among several single-core CPU Ethernet and dual-core WiFi machines and bandwidth hogging by one of the dual-core Kubuntu machines. Right now, I do not know which is the correct problem in need of solving nor which of the two should be solved first.

THE PCs: Of the three ThinkPad R61s, one runs WIN XP-J and two are running Kubuntu. The WIN machine was used to install and configure the router when it was purchased and connects reliably via eth0 or wlan0. This post is being sent from the Ethernet side of the router. Neither of the two Kubuntu machines are able to form a long-term connection and, since last evening, KNetworkManager is reporting that wlan0 is disconnected. The R61s use an Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 ABG Network chip. ROUTER AND WLAN: First off, the Net connection is FLETs ADSL 40. Hikari cables go right past our second floor window. NTT East has decreed that no one around here really needs hikari until 2012, but people down in Kashima, Mito, and central Hokota need it now. Router is a Buffalo WHR-G300N. It was set up for both Ethernet and wireless using the boxed CD and my wife's XP-J ThinkPad, which has no trouble making a solid 54Mbps wireless connection and also can be plugged into the Ethernet side, alternatively. XP installed some sort of driver for the router, which makes me wonder whether I need something similar for the Kubuntu machines ... and I cannot find anything that says one is necessary.

We've previously been able to run the two Kubuntu ThinkPads off the wlan connection by simply letting KNetworkManager find the connection and then typing in the Shared Key. Connections are being auto configured as WPA Personal type. KNetworkManager has found two iterations of the base WiFi signal which it designates as (router s/n) and (router s/n-2). It has also identified an AOSS (Buffalo's proprietary protected mode) connection, but that disappears and reappears from time to time. Signal strength within both floors of this building ranges from a high of 99% to a low of 85% ... and on to zero last evening.

I have two old P4 ThinkCentres and an Aquos television connected to the Ethernet side, one runs Xubuntu (my daughter's machine) and the other Kubuntu (for torrenting and playback). The TV is the screen for both boxes and I have a CPU switcher between them. The ThinkCentres were added to the eth0 side over the weekend and ran okay with the WIN XP-J ThinkPad on the wlan0 side of things. WHAT PREDATED THE RECENT PROBLEM: Our house has a 1DK apartment on the second floor and the main purpose of the wlan is to allow the tenant Internet access. Last night , we fired up one of the Kubuntu ThinkPads in the apartment, got a solid 54Mbps connection going, and the tenant started a torrenting prog running after checking mail. Net access among the other machines, single and dual-core alike, fell to zero. The ThinkCentres, in particular, which had been running fine, suddenly developed torrent, updater, and mail login timeouts and failures. We shut down the Kubuntu ThinkPad, and once again had full Net access for the WIN ThinkPad and the two Ethernet machines. However, all attempts to reconnect either of the Kubuntu ThinkPads have resulted in "disconnect" messages. We've tried:

1.  Rebooting the PCs.

2.  Rebooting the router.

3.  Rebooting the modem.

4.  Rebooting everything simultaneously.

... with no change. I am stumped. Any suggestions what I should do next. There is a pond across the road and the temptation to try my overhand programming method is great. But, I think I should try to straighten this out a bit more diligently first.

--
CL