Re: [tlug] UQ WiMAX, other ubiquitous internet access, and Linux laptops

On 2009/06/22, at 16:30, Dave M G <dave@example.com> wrote:

TLUG,

I'm thinking of getting some kind of service so that I can have internet access for my laptop wherever I go in the city. My laptop is Xubuntu 9.04.

I was kind of hoping that UQ WiMAX service would be accessible directly
from the wireless receiver built into my laptop, but it seems to need
some kind of device to connect (maybe I'm wrong about that).

http://www.uqwimax.jp/

If it needs some kind of USB device, then there's the potential of not
having the right device driver support available for Linux.

Yes, you do need an external device as Wimax.
UQ wimax currently does not support Linux. The closes you can get is Mac Support for SOME devices.

I am using Emobile for Mac and Windows notebooks. Again, not aware of Linux Support.

AVI